From Al- Habib Kazim Ja‘far Muhammad al-Saqqaf
1) Make due preparation for the first night of the month of Ramadhan as this is the night that Allah t’ala gazes upon his slaves. Whoever Allah t’ala gazes upon, he’ll never be punished.
- Read Surah Fath on this night
- Make ghusl (male & female)
- Intend to fast for the entire month
Some people are cognisant of the Divine gaze and are affected by it whereas others remain unaware and unaffected…
2) Complete the obligation of fasting but also other works to draw nearer to Allah t’ala such as strengthening the ties of sisterhood.
- The devil always attempts to cheat a human being and render him in a state of ingratitude
- A small amount of shukr will make one ascend in degrees
- We should make a firm intention to act in accordance with what we have learnt, even if it is a little.
- Consistent small works and a little thankfulness is better than a lot of inconsistent acts.
- The mercy that Allah t’ala shows you is in proportion to the mercy you show to others.
- Our Beloved said: when 2 Muslims meet 100 mercies descend – 90 are for the one with the best character and higher countenance (by the mercy of Allah t’ala 10 mercies go to the other).
3) Recite the noble Quran by day and by night;
- To recite it by day will ensure that the Quran will bear witness for you on the day of judgement
- To recite it by night (especially in the last third of the night) will ensure that the Quran is actually embodied and will physically act as an intercessor for you on the day of judgement.
4) Pray 20 rakat – Salaatul-Tarawih
5) Breaking the fast:
- With dates – 3, 5 or 7 – this prepares you to embrace the odd night of Laylatul Qadr as you have taken on “oddities” in your acts.
- Pray to Allah t’ala as every day a dua will be accepted from you:
– 1st night – a good ending
– 2nd night – emancipation from the hell-fire
– 3rd night – well-being here and in the hereafter
– 4th night – companionship of our Beloved
– Rest of the nights (26 in total) = choice of your own prayer
5) Make an intention for each fast on the night preceding the fast.
6) During the daylight hours control the tongue and don’t speak out of anger, lying, backbiting – the fast can be rendered void if you do so.
7) In the last 10 nights of Ramadhan say abundantly the dua of our Beloved
أَللّهُمَّ إِنَّكَ عَفُوٌّ تُحِبُّ العَفْوَ فَاعْفُ عَنّ يْ
Allahumma innaka afuwwun tuhibul afwa fa-fu anni
O Allah! You are the Most forgiving, You love forgiveness, so forgive me.
8) There are blessings in suhoor – even if you are not hungry, observe eating even if it’s a small amount.
9) Don’t argue/dispute with anybody – especially in the last 10 nights.
10) If Jummah falls on an odd night in the last 10 days – bring it to life as this is likely to be Laylatul Qadr.
11) If you go to the Masjid make intention for itikaaf for the duration of time that you spend in there – to increase your rewards.
12) If you go to the Masjid for itikaaf or salaatul-tarawih – when you enter the Masjid say that you are making an oath to Allah t’ala upon yourself – to pray 20 rakat or to sit itikaaf – as it then becomes wajib for you to complete the oath. Therefore the reward is x70 more for performing a wajib.
Habib Khazim said if we do all of the above we have good hope that we will bring to life all of the blessings of this sacred month inshallah…
 al-Shaikh ‘Umar Husain al-Khatib
 al-Shaikh ‘Umar Husain al-Khatib
Supplication for breaking the fast;
Jazakumallahu khairan dear ‘Dew-drop’ and a special sister for their contributions.
May Allah allow us all to take benefit from time spent in blessed company and enable us to bring life to the month ahead, may he allow us to remember those in need and may he grant us freedom from the fire and entry to jannah without hisab.
Ramadhan Mabruk to all